Commercial Electrical Testing
Liverpool | Wirral | Warrington
ConneX Electrical are Fully Qualified, Certified & Insured Commercial Testing Specialists based in Liverpool.
Here at ConneX Electrical we are specialists in electrical compliance, providing Fixed Wire Testing (EICR) and remedials, PAT Testing and Emergency Light Testing for a wide range of businesses across Liverpool.
Whether you need routine testing, an issue resolution or your premises is changing ownership, our team of highly experienced, qualified electricians will meet all your electrical testing needs.
Electrical Inspection Condition Reports (EICR) in Liverpool
Commercial, domestic and landlord EICR testing, otherwise known as an Electrical Inspection Condition Report (EICR) or periodic electrical testing, is a full-scale inspection of your electrical systems and installation.
Most Liverpool businesses will need an electrical test report at some stage. The requirements for this vary so we’ve listed these out below:
How often does my business need a electrical test?
The guidelines on when electrical testing should be done are below:
- Domestic Installations – Change of occupancy or 10 years (Whichever is soonest)
- Residential Accommodation – Change of occupancy or 5 years (Whichever is soonest)
- Commercial Installations – Change of occupancy or 5 years (Whichever is soonest)
- Industrial Installations – 3 years
- Offices, Shops and Laboratories – 5 years
- Landlords – End of tenancy or 5 years (Whichever is soonest)
Is my business at risk if I don’t have an EICR?
While there isn’t any legislation that specifically says homeowners, businesses or landlords should have an EICR certificate, laws such as the Landlord and Tenants Act (1985) and Health and Safety at Work Act (1974) outline the responsibilities that landlords and employers have with regards to the safety of tenants and employees respectively. The Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 also require that precautions are taken against the risk of injury sustained from electricity used in work activities.
What is a Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR)?
An EICR is a formal document that is produced following an assessment of the electrical installation within a property. The assessment amust be carried out by an experienced qualified electrician or approved contractor. Commercial electrical installation condition reports are used to check the safety, operation and compliance of an electrical system. As a commercial property owner it is your responsibility under health and safety legislation to ensure that the building is in good condition and electrically sound.
Regular electrical inspections are needed because all electrical systems suffer wear and tear over time. For example, light switches and electrical sockets can be damaged, connections can become loose and cables can deteriorate. Loose electrical connections and damaged equipment are fire risks, which highlights the importance of regular electrical maintenance work.
Landlords renting out a property for business use need an electrical condition report for insurance. If at any point during the tenancy the electrical system caused harm to a person in your commercial property and a valid condition report had not been obtained then the victim could take legal action against you.
What Does an EICR Test Involve?
This is where the electrician will survey the electrical installation before they commence with the electrical testing. The visual inspection will highlight broken or cracked devices, where devices may have been installed in the wrong location, or if there have been overloading or over heating problems.
Electrical testing with the use of electrical test meters, includes:
- Continuity testing: a test to check if there are any badly connected conductors
- Insulation resistance testing: this test is to make sure that the electrical insulation material surrounding the conductors is intact.
- Polarity: this test is to check that the connection are connected in the right sequence
- Earth fault loop impedance testing: this test is to check that if a fault did occur, that the system meets requirements to cause a disconnection of the supply within the time limit specified
- RCD testing: on modern electrical systems RCD’s and RCBO’s are regularly fitted, these devices react to electricity missing from the circuit or installation such as when a person is receiving an electric shock as the electricity passes through his body to the ground (earth).
Should the EICR test come back as failed, the EICR will be classed as “unsatisfactory” meaning that the required work needs to be done, without delay, to remove the risk to those living or working at the property. As well as returning an “unsatisfactory” result, the report will detail which electrical system(s) failed the test. Work required is classified using the following codes:
- C1 – ‘danger is present’, risk of injury is likely and immediate action is required.
- C2 – potentially dangerous and remedial action is needed urgently.
- C3 – improvement to your electrical system is recommended. C3 is the only classification code that can appear on a report and still pass the EICR test.
Once your electrical system has passed the inspection fully and any urgent remedial work has been completed, you will be provided with an EICR Certificate of Safety, giving you peace of mind that your electrics are safe.
We provide electrical testing and inspection for all your commercial electrical systems, plus a maintenance and repair service as and when required, to ensure that your business keeps up its high safety standards and complies with the law on electrical safety.
As a family run local business with more than 40 years’ experience in the industry, the team at ConneX Electrical are able to offer the very highest standards of professionalism and workmanship with a reputation that we are incredibly proud of.
We’ve helped hundreds of domestic and commercial customers to improve and maintain their existing electric systems, and installed brand new business lighting aimed at transforming the look and feel of premises across all kinds of industries.
All of our electrical services across Liverpool and Merseyside are performed by NICEIC approved contractors who are fully insured, and we ensure that every member of our team meets our own high standards – as well as those our customers come to expect.
From the 1st point of contact, our friendly and experienced staff will listen to your goals & needs and tailor your design and installation to your requirements, and guide you through the entire process, ensuring all your initial goals and budgets are met.
When it comes to your business you need a tradesman you can trust to deliver, ConneX Electrical offer a local friendly and reliable service, all our electricians are fully qualified and held to the highest standards as (proven) by our NICEIC Approved contractor status.
All our work comes with a minimum 12-month guarantee Data/CAT6.
ConneX Electrical offer all data & CAT6 services, using our knowledge and experience we can design and a create a network tailored to your needs whether your a commercial business needing a fast and secure network for your data, or whether you’re a residential customer just wanting to make the most of your broadband speeds.